Aussies, do you wish to give your living room a touch of luxury and sophistication?
If yes, then natural stone tiles might be right up your street, especially if you love a natural and organic look in your home.
Natural stone tiles were our ancestors’ preferred choice. For centuries, they were used to create stunning floors and walls in grand homes and palaces. However, today, warm and textured local materials are abundant. Be it porcelain, vinyl, or wood, you have endless choices to pick a tile material that speaks to your taste. Still, stone flooring continues to be a popular choice, especially for living rooms. In fact, it works just as well indoors as it does outdoors.
However, there are two sides to using natural stone tiles in your living room. If there are pros, there are cons as well. So, in this blog, we’ll make the decision of tiles easier for you and break down everything about natural stone tiles – let’s get started!
What are Natural Stone Tiles?
Natural stone tiles are tiles made from naturally occurring stones extracted from the earth. You can also call them mountain-born mineral substances that are different from any synthetic or manufactured stone tiles.
Marble, granite, limestone, slate, sandstone and travertine are the most commonly used natural stones for tiles. The tiles come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses, depending on their use.
What is the Difference Between Natural Stone and Natural Stone Tiles?
Natural stone and natural stone tiles sound like the same thing, doesn’t it? Therefore, most people confuse them for one. However, there is a difference between the two.
Natural stone refers to raw stone material. It is quarried from the earth. On the other hand, natural stone tiles are the finished product. The former is the raw product that has been cut into tiles for use in various applications, such as flooring and wall cladding, while the latter is the finished product used in your homes and offices.
Pros and Cons of Natural Stone Tiles
Here is a list of advantages and disadvantages of natural stone floor tiles:
Pros of Natural Stone Tiles
- Natural stone tiles are one of the most durable tile materials available. You can trust it to last long and not show signs of wear.
- They give an immaculate appearance when the same stone tile is used throughout the space. You can master an indoor-outdoor seamless look and create an unbroken view. It makes the space look larger.
- Natural stone is a timeless and classic tile – it will never go out of style!
- When Australia heats up, you can trust the natural stone tiles to keep your space relatively cooler. They help in temperature control, which is a necessity during summer.
- Don’t worry – natural stone tiles are also a good conductor of heat, keeping your environment warm and cosy in winter. Once you get them heated with underfloor heating, it will keep your room warm and heated.
- Natural stone has a nonporous surface. So, allergens and dust do not hide and collect on its tile.
Cons of Natural Stone Tiles
- If you compare natural stone tiles with other materials, it is the costliest. In fact, its shipping and installation costs are also significantly higher than others. Well, probably that’s the price you have to pay for a tile that’s strong, durable, will last for a lifetime and never goes out of style.
- If you don’t have a radiant heat system installed underneath your floor, stone flooring will feel cold. It’s especially true if you have a cold climate.
- Wet natural stone tile becomes very slippery when wet. So it’s not ideal for spaces like the kitchen or bathroom. In fact, if exposed too much to water, it can stain, scratch, or chip.
- The natural strength of stone tile is quite good. But it provides less cushioning to the floor, making slip and fall accidents more hazardous.
Recommended Tiles for Living Room
Natural stone tiles are robust, practical, hardwearing and hygienic. Undoubtedly, it’s a brilliant choice tiles for the living room. Here are the top choices for you to consider:
- Marble tiles for reflecting a premium lifestyle
- Flagstone tiles to give out a countryside charm
- Limestone tiles to keep it simple & timeless
- Slate tiles for adding a distinctive character to the room
- Granite tiles to ensure durability
Recommended Areas for Natural Stone Tiles
You can use natural stone tiles in any part of your home. However, some areas are better suited. Let’s know which ones –
- Natural stone tiles add a touch of sophistication and luxury to your living room. Be it marble, limestone or flagstone, they will enhance the look of your living space.
- If you want a rustic or elegant look in your kitchen, use natural stone. However, its porosity might not be the best choice for the floor.
- Add a touch of natural beauty to your patios, walkways and pool surrounds with natural stone tiles.
Natural stone tiles come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages. However, in most cases, the pros outweigh the cons.
Add durable and attractive natural stone tiles to your home or office and deck your space with a beauty that can’t be replicated by man-made tile materials.